One of the simplest and tastiest ways to make a big side dish (or a main meal) for the whole family is by roasting in the oven. Depending on the season you will have access to a wide range of different colours and shapes of vegetable, and nearly all of them are well suited to a roasting.
Roasting could not be easier – you basically chop everything up so that each chunk is roughly the same size, throw them in a pan with some olive oil drizzled over and boom – in the oven for 45 minutes.
Every ten or fifteen minutes it’s a good idea to open the oven door and give them a little shake around to make sure they don’t stick to the pan, but otherwise…that’s it!
Just remember that all of these ingredients can be changed, depending on what your personal preferences are. If you don't like carrot, don't add it! If you really like potatoes, put extra in! Just try to keep the size of the pieces relatively uniform, and you'll end up with a deliciou, nutritious and unique meal every time.
- Parnsips - 200g
- Potatoes - 200g
- Carrots - 200g
- Butternut squash - 200g
- Red pepper - 100g
- Red onion - 2 large
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp
- Rosemary - Large sprig or 2 tsp dried
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Chop vegetables to roughly the same size (see photo above). It does not need to be exact, but it will help with 'even' cooking if they are roughly the same shape and size
- Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil on a large roasting pan or tray
- Put all of the vegetables in the pan and mix them around to get some oil on them. Drizzle another couple of tablespoons of oil on top to get them nicely coated
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top, and add the sprig of rosemary or sprinkle some dried rosemary across the lot
- Place in the oven at 200c / 390f for 45 minutes, turning and shaking every 10-15 minutes to make sure they don't stick to the pan
Bonus - Roasted vegetable soup
As a bonus, here's a really quick recipe for making a delicious and healthy roasted vegetable soup:
- Take half a tray of your cooked roasted vegetables and stick them in a pan. Before you wash the tray, add 500ml of water it and swill it around (in order to soak up the bits of vegetables, oil and herbs) before pouring into the pan and adding a vegetable stock cube.
- Heat on medium-high for 5 minutes before using a food-processor to blitz it into a liquid. Serve with a swirl of low fat cream and some toasted croutons
- Also remember - if you like your soup thicker then just add less water to the pan